If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I got a Vitamix for Christmas and have been absolutely OBSESSED with all things blended ever since (which is ironic for anyone who knows me because I also study blended learning for my real job). This obsession has resulted in a few very weather-appropriate and amazingly delicious soups (like my Creamy Broccoli and Smooth Veggie soups), but it has also gotten me on a totally not-timely smoothie kick. Yes, it is January in South Bend, Indiana and yes, I am eating icy cold bowls of goodness a few times a week.
The thing is, I just can’t help it! I absolutely adore smoothies, and my infatuation has grown exponentially over the past month or so as I have started to experiment with making them in my own kitchen.
Part of the fuel on this fire is the Superfood Smoothies cookbook that I got for Christmas, which has over 100 amazing smoothie recipes. The only problem with the recipes in this cookbook (and smoothie recipes in general) is that almost all the recipes include at least 2-3 servings of fruit, which can add up to a lot of sugar in one sitting for those of us who don’t generally eat much sugar at all, natural or otherwise. The good news is that I have been able to adapt many of the recipes to include less fruit and more vegetables!
The first recipe I tried from this book was the Chocolate Kale smoothie (for obvious reasons) and it was REALLY freaking good. I started to adapt the recipe for my own tastes, though, and over time I developed a recipe so far from the original that I feel comfortable sharing it as my own.
A few things to point out about this amazingly delicious Low-Sugar Chocolate & Greens Superfood Smoothie Bowl (yikes that name is a little long):
- It is super low in sugar, sweetened with only half a frozen banana and a few drops of liquid stevia (a non-caloric natural sweetener).
- It has 3 servings of vegetables (if you include the avocado, which I am) that you can’t taste. How often do you get to have veggies AND chocolate for breakfast?!
- It is PACKED with superfoods – raw cacao, maca, collagen, and hemp seeds – that have a wide range and large quantity of nutrients for your brain, heart, hair, skin, nails, and HORMONES! Hit up the Google if you want more detailed info on any of these superfoods, but trust me when I say they provide many nutrients you need and probably are not getting enough of.
- It is unbelievably thick and creamy, hence it is a smoothie bowl. I love smoothies that are so thick that they require a spoon, and this is no exception. It feels absolutely decadent to eat.
And that’s it, friends! Can’t wait to hear what you think of my new favorite recipe!
Low-Sugar Chocolate & Greens Superfood Smoothie Bowl
- 1/2 medium avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 frozen banana, roughly chopped
- 1/3 c frozen riced cauliflower (or 1/2 c roughly chopped zucchini)
- 1 c frozen chopped kale (or other greens, use spinach for the most mild taste)
- 1 c almond milk
- 2 Tbs cacao powder (or use two scoops of my Superfood Smoothie Mix)
- 1 heaping tsp raw maca powder (optional; omit if using the Superfood mix above)
- 2 Tbs collagen peptides
- 5 drops liquid stevia
- 1 Tbs cacao nibs
- 1 Tbs hemp seeds
- Put all ingredients (except toppings) in your blender and blend on high speed for about 1 minute. You may want to start with about 3/4 c of almond milk and increase from there as necessary.
- Pour into a bowl, top with hemp seeds and cacao nibs, and enjoy!