I used to HATE ginger. I actually think my first time buying a knob of ginger at the grocery store was the first time I made this recipe, over a year ago now. I slowly started to incorporate small bits of ginger into my diet because I wanted to experience its many health benefits.
In case you don’t know, ginger in an absolute POWERHOUSE when it comes to lowering inflammation and improving digestive function. Ginger has been shown to soothe nausea, ease joint pain, block and fight infection, and lower inflammation levels in the body, among other things…which basically means that ginger can solve all of my problems. (Read more here).
I’m willing to try just about anything for the sake of my health so I tried ginger and soon found that it isn’t so bad after all. I still wouldn’t say that I love ginger in every dish, but I absolutely LOVE this carrot ginger soup! The sweetness of the carrots combine with the creaminess of the coconut milk to provide the perfect palette for a little kick of ginger.
The nice thing is that you can easily customize this recipe to include more or less ginger depending on your preferences, too…I tend to add a little more ginger because I want all the benefits and I actually like the taste, but feel free to start small and build up if ginger isn’t your thing.
Like just about all of my recipes, this soup is ridiculously easy to make and super nourishing to your body. It only requires six simple ingredients and very little cooking expertise. You can use any blender to make this recipe, but I highly recommend a Vitamix because the texture is INCOMPARABLE. I have a refurbished Vitamix which is at least $300 less expensive than a new model and it works like a charm. If you’re considering investing in one of these bad boys, 10/10 would recommend.
One final note: this recipe is paleo, vegan (as long as you use vegetable broth instead of bone broth), AIP, GAPS, SCD, etc…you name it, it fits! As someone who has been on countless healing diets, I truly understand the value of a simple and delicious nourishing recipe. Soup for all!
Now, let’s get cooking! Don’t forget to comment or share your photo if you try this recipe. I can’t wait to hear what you think!
Carrot Ginger Soup (Paleo & Vegan*)
A creamy, luscious, nourishing, and super easy carrot ginger soup.
- 2 lbs carrots
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (preferably one without guar gum or other additives, like this. I buy mine from Thrive Market)
- 1 c bone broth (I love Kettle and Fire chicken bone broth for this recipe) OR *sub vegetable broth for vegan version
- 1/2-1 inch knob of fresh ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Fill a large pot with an inch or two of water. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Roughly chop the carrots into large pieces, being sure to remove the ends.
- When the water is boiling, place a steamer basket in the bottom of the pot and place the carrot pieces in the steamer basket. Put the top back on the pot and allow the carrots to boil until the carrots are extremely soft and sweet, about 20 minutes.
- While the carrots are boiling, peel your ginger knob. Put the ginger, coconut milk, broth, cinnamon, and sea salt in the blender.
- When the carrots are nice and soft, remove them from the heat and allow them to cool for about five minutes before transferring to the blender.
- Blend all ingredients together for at least a minute, until all ingredients are creamy.
- Pour and enjoy!